Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sick or Injured + Walt Disney World = Help is Close By!!!


Nobody gets sick or injured at the "Most Magical Place on Earth," right?  If only that were true.  For a while, it seemed someone someone in my family needed medical attention every trip!  If your family falls into the same unfortunate situation, don't fret.  There are a lot of options for you.

If you have an accident or get sick in one of the parks, Disney has first aid stations in each of the theme parks and water parks.  These aren't just your "run of the mill" first aid stations.  According to the person with whom I spoke, while there isn't a doctor on the premises, each one is staffed with a nurse and carries a number of over-the-counter medications and supplies for typical bumps, cuts, and bruises.  You can find them at:
·         The first aid station in Magic Kingdom theme park is located next to The Crystal Palace restaurant on Main Street, U.S.A.
·         The first aid station in Epcot theme park is at the Odyssey Center; enter from the World Showcase side.
·         The first aid station in Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park is located near Guest Services on Hollywood Boulevard.
·         The first aid station in Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park is located behind Creature Comforts in Discovery Island.
·         The first aid station in Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park is located behind Leaning Palms.
·         The first aid station in Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park is between Lottawatta Lodge and Beach Haus.

If, however, you can't make it to a first aid station, just find your nearest cast member.  They will get help for you.

In addition to the first aid stations, if the unthinkable happens, Disney World also has hundreds of automated external defibrillators around the parks, many of them strategically placed near thrill rides and fitness centers.  Plus, the ones I saw had phones next to them so that someone can call for help immediately.

Unfortunately, all of my family's illnesses were something for which a doctor was necessary.  My son was very prone to ear infections so, of course, his first trip at 10-months-old also included an ear infection.  It was late at night and we didn't have a car so we called the front desk of our resort who gave us the number for Doctors on Call Service or DOCS for short.  That night, a doctor appeared at our hotel room door complete with everything he needed to diagnose our son and the first dose of antibiotics (they do not sell any medications - you have to go through a pharmacy for the full dose).  On top of it, he called a prescription in to a local pharmacy who delivered the remainder of the antibiotics to the front desk of our hotel!  Within a day or so, my son was improved enough that we could continue on with our vacation.

The only drawback with DOCS that I saw was that they don't accept any insurance so we had to pay for the visit upfront and then get reimbursed from our insurance company.  It worked out really well for us, but what if you don't have an extra $200 or so to pay for the visit and wait for reimbursement?  Well, I decided to try something different on a subsequent visit.

This time, it was me who got sick and since it was a recurrent infection, I knew I needed an antibiotic.  I was looking to "save money" so I took a cab to Centra Care at 12500 South Apopka Vineland Rd.  Their hours are long - from 8am to Midnight weekdays and 8am to 8pm on weekends.  You can also make a reservation right from their website so that you'll have no wait when you get there.  Their staff was also very nice and treated me well.  Plus, they took my insurance so I only had to pay my regular copay.  The only drawback I could find was that while I got my prescription, I then walked to a nearby Walgreens to get it filled and then had to take a cab back to the hotel since I didn't have a rental car.

On this last trip, I got sick again.  This time, I had a rental car.  That being said, what did I choose?  I have to admit... I chose DOCS.  Why?   Well, first and foremost, the convenience of it.  The last thing I wanted to do at 11pm while sick was get in the car and go to an Urgent Care and then a pharmacy when I could have a doctor come right to me lying in bed in my hotel room.  Yes, I had to pay upfront for the visit but I put it on my credit card and by the time my bill was due, I'd already gotten the reimbursement from my insurance company, meaning that my actual out-of-pocket was about the same as if I'd traveled to an Urgent Care.  The doctor came to my room late - around 11pm, and I got started on the medication that night.  In fact, by the time my delivery from the pharmacy came the next morning, I was feeling a little better and we resumed, albeit a light schedule, our fun in the parks later that day.

In a nutshell, you have lots of options if the unexpected happens to get back to your Disney World fun.  In the parks, you can check out any of the first aid centers.  For something requiring a doctor, you'll be well-served by either Doctors on Call Service or a local urgent care.  For your convenience, you can click on any of the links below to get more info.




BuenaVista Urgent Care - I don't have any personal experience with this one, but it's so close to Disney World, it's worth a look.

6 comments:

  1. While staying at the Wilderness Lodge, our then 4-year-old woke up with a horrendous fever at 3am. We hadn't brought a thermometer, but could tell it was above 102. Knowing that we had just arrived by plane a couple of days earlier, we didn't know if he had caught something or not, so we phoned the front desk. Within 10 minutes, firemen, paramedics, and the front desk manager were in our room. They checked him out and advised us to give him Children's Tylenol, which, of course, we had also left at home. The manager walked me down to the Mercantile store, opened it up, and allowed me to get what we needed, including one of those forehead thermometers (better than nothing).

    They were very helpful, and they were happy we had phoned them, as another little boy at Fort Wilderness had shown the same symptoms after flying in, and they were keeping track of what kind of illness may be circulating the resort.

    If someone gets sick or hurt while at a resort, I will always call the front desk first. They've got it down to a science and will help you decide what is best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Kim. We have been so lucky with all the trips we've taken to WDW until last December. I wish I knew something like the DOCS service was available then. I found out a little too late. This is great info for future travelers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information to have Kim! Here's hoping that your days of being not so well at Disney are in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim sounds like you had bad luck with getting sick on vacation just like us! I wish I new about the DOCS service...we actually flew home early once because both my son and I were so darn sick! What a great informative article!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info Kim, you never know when you might need it! We have used the First-Aid stations at all most every park and they have always been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's also a 34 year old company in the Orlando area called The Medical Concierge. They are surprisingly easy on the pocket book, and ironically more affordable than any walk-in clinic I've heard of. My little girl got sick when we went to Disney and they sent a pediatrician to look after her. The doc had amazing bedside manner and put her mind at ease. Needless to say, I was very pleased with the service.

    Here's the website FYI:
    themedicalconcierge.com

    ReplyDelete