Thursday, August 30, 2012

Wreck it Ralph


For a lot of families’ summer vacation just ended; so November seems very far away. However, if you escaped the heat by going to the latest Disney /Pixar blockbuster Brave, chances are good that you saw a sneak peek trailer for a movie called 
"Wreck -it Ralph."

I saw "Wreck- it Ralph" a while ago as a screening. It stars the voice talents of John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman,  Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch.
 Ralph is the bad-guy character in a classic video game called “Fix-it Felix Jr.” He brings trouble to his entire arcade after sneaking into a new first-person shooting game and unleashes a deadly enemy.
Ralph longs to be a hero. And come November, you can see if he succeeds.
"Wreck-It Ralph" is now available on your mobile device in the App Store. Download it now and play Fix-It Felix, Jr. on the go!

Going into it I really had no idea what I was in for. I had heard the title in passing but had never seen a trailer or even a movie poster. As a screening I was among the first audience to view the film and there were parts of it that were not finished. Seeing a movie in this format is a great way to appreciate all of the work that goes into making a feature of its size.

I took my youngest DS (Disney Son) 16 and my Bonus DS 21 and they were just as excited as I was. Maybe more. With risk of sounding gender-ous, I am more of a princess fan when it comes to movie watching.  I never play video games and I do not know much about them. While others were playing Pac-man I was painting glitter on my Barbie’s clothes.

With my M&M infused popcorn in hand we found 3 seats in the center of the theatre. It is very common to have seats saved for press, and the like, at screenings such as this one… and there were two seats roped off next to us.
 A hush came over the crowd; well it was more of a gasp I would say. I turned around to witness a man walk in and raise his hand in acknowledgement. His Hawaiian shirt was unmistakable. It was John Lasseter!
John McBrayer,Sarah Silverman and the one and only John Lasseter!

  When someone asks the rhetorical question “If you could have a conversation with anyone, who would it be?” Him, it would be HIM!  Lasseter and other Pixar employees walk up the row; with a nod and a smile they sat down beside me and I almost forgot to breath. I turned to my kids and mouthed OMG that is John Lasseter! I was afraid that Crayola would be next through the door to patent the color on my face.
During the movie I couldn’t help but listen as the two exchanged ideas. At one point Mr. Lasseter said, “Write down everything she says, every time she laughs and every time she makes a noise.”

There were plenty of times there was laughter, deep sighs as well as some times my eyes welled up with tears.
At the end of the movie we were given papers to rate our thoughts of the characters, of the movie and what we thought of the pace etc….

Still on the edge of my seat, I turned and thanked Mr. Lasseter for allowing me to go. He asked me what I thought of the movie. I was stunned. I actually had a conversation with him where he asked my opinion.
 I have no idea what the words were that came out of my mouth that night. What I do know is how it made me feel. I must have been grinning like the Cheshire cat. I felt like I was part of something great. I liked the music, the story was touching, and I found myself rooting for the bad guy, which is new for me. I actually wanted to go play video games. I now need a teenager to help me turn on the Atari. Or is it a Wii?

So when November rolls around I know I will go see "Wreck- it Ralph" in the theatre again. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.  I will be there, with my M&M popcorn and I will leave empty seats next to me, because you never know.

http://disney.go.com/wreck-it-ralph/




5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it! I want to go with you next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, that's absolutely amazing! Talk about a brush with greatness, although you had WAY more than a brush. Wow, you may have had an influence on the final version of the movie! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see it! Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, How great is that! We saw the preview while seeing Brave and it does look like a great movie, cannot wait to see it, but for me it is gourmet nachos that our theatre makes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son and I are so psyched for this movie to come out. We'll be on a Disney cruise around it's opening so I'm hoping we can see it on the ship. If not, I know the first movie we'll be seeing when we get back!

    ReplyDelete