Sunday, November 4, 2012

Guest Author Sunday - Kim Jordan takes us to Epcot's Food and Wine Festival

Please help The Disney Gals in welcoming our honorary Disney Gal for the day Kim Jordan!



A little about myself:

My love for Disney World and all things Disney began with my family’s first trip in 2002. The first time my daughter saw the castle is a memory permanently etched in my brain. In my opinion, there is no better place to create cherished family memories than as Walt Disney World.  Since that first trip we have gone back 12 times and added a son to the memories. 

In fact, I felt so strongly about Disney, that when my husband moved us from lower Alabama to Upstate New York, I started a new career as a Dream Maker with Magic of Mickey Travel. Now, I get to help other families create a love for Disney and experience the Magical World that it truly is. 

Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival: What a Blast!!!

First, of all my friend and I had only known each other for 2 months when we planned this trip. The trip was just us, leaving the Husbands and children back in New York. We didn’t know whether we would become friends or enemies – but we were willing to give it a shot for the sake of the Mouse and Food and Wine of course.


When we arrived in Orlando, we scurried directly to Magical Express headed for our Resort.  Like two teenage girls getting ready for a date we found ourselves changing in the restroom at the resort, since our room was not yet ready.  We applied fresh make-up and changed clothes to accommodate the weather change.  Excited, hungry, and exhausted we headed towards the World Showcase for the “Food” and “Wine.”  We started our adventure with a refreshing cocktail and were on our way.


Being the planner that I am, I had studied the reviews of each marketplace and had created a plan of action (a plan that would soon be derailed).  We would begin with Canada and can I say it is not to be missed.  The Filet Mignon and Cheddar Cheese soup would be one of the favorites at the end of the night.  As we continued around the world, we began to talk with others that were there to have fun as well – we found out that we are not shy or self- reserved women- that we would strike up a conversation with just about anyone. When we would speak, the fun would begin. Our new friends found it interesting that the two of us were friends; you see my friend is a born and raised New Yorker and I am from the South. Our strong accents from two different regions of the U.S. started a lot of our conversations with others- that and a cocktail or two.

In true Disney style we meet people from all over the world and some from our own backdoors, proving it is a Small World After All.  After indulging a little too much on the fabulous food selections, we decided to take a break and enjoy some of the wonderful entertainment that is to be found in Epcot. We danced to the “British Invasion”, Ate to the Beat concert, and even took in a show or too in the countries. But our favorite of the evening would be the “Hat Lady” in the Rose and Crown Pub.  What a talent she has for coming up with songs. She was able to incorporate our names and where we were from very quickly into a song.  By the end of the evening, I think everyone knew our names. We felt as thought we were home.


If you are like me and have an old fashioned grandmother, they will tell you that the best way to get to know someone is to “break bread” and “share wine.” I am here to tell you that this is what we did and it really does work. By the end of our adventure, we found ourselves better friends and shared an adventure that few women can say they have experienced. After going to Disney a combined number of well over 30 times and enjoying all The Food and Wine Festival had to offer, my friend and I realized something. You are either Disney people at heart and automatically friends or you are not.  As for the two of us: WE ARE DISNEY GALS AND MOMS FOREVER.


3 comments:

  1. Kim, Thank you for being a Guest Author today. What a great article, sounds like the two of you had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendations! Hoping to get there Mon or Tues to hear Blues Traveler. Will have to check out the cheddar soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article and I totally agree about making memories that last a lifetime! So many foods still out there just waiting for me to try!

    ReplyDelete