Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Go Over the Rainbow With "The Wizard of Oz"


"And the Dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true...."



Way back when, times were different; they were a much simpler time.  There were three channels on TV to watch, cartoons were only on Saturday mornings and once a year, the most magical of events occurred. For one magnificent night, my life was filled with Munchkins, flying monkeys and Dorothy took me over the rainbow to the Land of Oz.  I lived for that moment when “The Wizard of Oz” would come into my living and then for months on end I would sing and reenact every scene and every song, much to my mother’s chagrin.  It wasn’t until 1966, when I went to the neighbor’s house across the street that I discovered that low and behold, part of my most beloved movie was in color, thus adding an entirely new dimension to my world.
         Over the years, this beloved and timeless classic has been a part of me and everything I held dear.  Imagine my delight when after so many years the time finally came that the movie I held so dear went from the small screen in my living room to the big screen of our local movie theater. To be able to have my Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman and Lion larger than life and to be so completely and totally immersed in the story is one of the moments in time that I will hold close to my heart for as long as I live.
         But just when I thought it couldn’t possibly get any better, thanks to the genius of the legendary Andrew Lloyd Webber, will be bringing this American classic to the stage in San Francisco with not only the original songs that are so much a part of my childhood, but also with new music from Mr. Webber as well as the great Broadway composer Tim Rice.




 If your anywhere in northern California than you too can click your heels together and join Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, Dorothy and her little dog Toto, as they journey through the magical land of Oz to meet the Wizard and obtain their hearts’ desires. Watch out for the Wicked Witch of the West and her winged monkeys as you rediscover the real story of Oz in this fantastic musical treat for all the family.  If you’d like to be off to see the wizard too, opening night is October 16th and will run through October 27th. Purchase tickets at www.shnsf.com or by calling the Audience Services line at 888-746-1799.

Gayle is a Disney Gal that loves churros for breakfast, still gets giddy with delight at the first sight of the “Disneyland next exit sign”, loves the overwhelming emotions and memories that come with each and every return to the Happiest Place on Earth and dreams of one day being the Captain of the Jungle Boat. To learn more about Gayle, click here

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Andrew & Tim together! Musical genius! Hope this gets rave reviews and makes it's way to Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly just seeing this brought to life right before my eyes-I'm getting all choked up just thinking about it. When we started our children's theater company, Wizard of Oz was our very first play but to see it done with the original music plus Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber-be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete