Thursday, August 23, 2012

I can say that I Give Kids the World


Winston Churchill is quoted as saying “ We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give” This quote is a favorite of Give Kids the World (GKTW) founder, Henri Landwirth. I know it is one of mine, too.

Today I am writing about the adult side of GKTW - where the magic and the pain merge. I look at its glory through a mother’s eye. I’m not a stranger to community service but this combines my love of Disney with helping others. Some nights are hard, but it tugs at my heart so deeply that I can’t wait to go back.
One of my favorite places to help:the La-Ti-Da spa!


I was thrilled to be at the La-Ti-Da Spa for my first shift at GKTW. I loved painting princesses’ nails and was able to teach  about the magic inside the walls of Walt Disney World.

After my shift, I walked alone in the 70- acre village. This was the most worthwhile thing I had ever done and I just wanted to process things. It only took the suns last glance and a spray of color in the sky for my eyes to well up and tears to stream down my cheeks.

When I could catch my breath, I began to hear the muffled sounds of a woman in the butterfly garden next to me, there are so many hurting hearts after long adventurous days.
 I didn’t want to invade her private time but she beckoned me to come closer. She spoke in broken English and I do not know much Spanish but I gladly obliged her desire for conversation. Moms that have battled capture my heart. She held tightly to a photograph. It was of a young boy full of life climbing a tree with a proud look on his face. In the background you could see an elderly man with a fishing pole. She said “Me Papa” as she pointed to the man. She pulled out her camera and showed me a picture that was taken that day. It was of the same man with a now bald-headed boy of about 8 or 9. The two of them were fishing at GKTW. She clasped her hands, let out a sigh, and the two of us cried. No words needed. An unspoken trust shared by two moms.


One of the whimsical villas at Give Kids the World 

The space between the buildings at GKTW brings warmth and comfort. Conversations are a sanctuary to everyone who listens. It lightens their load and you can see it in their face. Their posture and their eyes sparkle with delight.
With a deep cleansing breath they speak of hardships and pain. It takes a lot of faith to believe in the doctors and drugs; and to have a moment where you do not have to think of it is priceless.



Time at GKTW can be emotionally intense. Mourning losses, and grieving relapses find their way into the happy laughter that fills the Village.  Gut wrenching sobs from parents not wanting to lose their child.
But there are times of pure joy. 
How can I be more thankful for moments beyond price? Living fully for the moment.
 When the week is over it does not vanish. The week isn’t lost forever; Disney makes sure of that with pictures. Treasured memories. The families will never be able to banish the memory of pain and sting of what will be ahead. But for one glorious week they find fun and hope and love.

GKTW is a retreat from the hours and days in the grasp of a frantic life with a terminally -ill child. There is a spirit there. Where laughter outshines. As families are immersed in delight, you will know that it was made possible from friends like you.
Giving kids a fantasy trip and the extra nudge to go back home and fight. GKTW and the Angels who volunteer there inspire kids to renew their battle against their illness. 

The kids at GKTW know the feeling of their port being accessed and an MRI machine more than the feeling of theme park attractions. But after a magical week volunteers can truly say they gave kids the world!


11 comments:

  1. Lori you are such an inspiration! Thank you for all that you do to help others. I hope to be half the person you are someday. I simply can't wait to volunteer at GKTW and Makena is getting so excited for her visit in October to donate the money that she's still currently raising. What a fabulous organization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I'm typing this through the tears running down my checks. What a moving article and a truly great cause. Bless you for all the volunteer work you do there and I hope to join you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I know you struggled with what to say, but I think you captured the story well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANKS FOR SHARING THIS LORI, WOULD LOVE MORE ON GKTW AND HOW TO GET INVOLVED. YOU ARE SUCH AN INSPIRATION!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GKTW Has 200 shifts a day. Visit them on line to helps hands on or you can send me donations and I can take them there next month! Thx

      Delete
  5. Lori...my hero. Thank you for sharing this and thank you for donating your time and love to these angels that get a week of bliss. I know that they will always remember all of the people that have helped them make such great memories during times of tragedy. It is people like you that make the world a happy place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, I am speechless. That was a beautiful tribute to the stars of GKTW, the children, but also to their parents, their families and the amazing volunteers at GKTW. I am so moved. Thank you for sharing your incredible experience.

    Suz
    MapleMouseMama

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, what a great article, I cannot even put to words what I would like to say right now. I know how hard it is to have a sick child, to have a place to like GKTW is just incredable. A place for parents can also relax as they know the volunteers are their for them too! I send you big hugs and kisses for what you do, I would love to do it one day too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori! Simply amazing and very well said! What a wonderful story~ Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank-you Lori for sharing you emotions so beautifully in this article and for all that you do as a volunteer!

    ReplyDelete