Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A look at Americana at Disney


The Disney Gals come to your computer or electronic device from all over the world. I live in The United States of America.

To hail the spirit of America I do not have to look far. A national tribute of remembrance and honor to the men, women, and children killed in the terror attacks of September 11, 2001. For me it was personal. My mom’s friend lost a son that day. Not a faceless name.


It is hard to believe it’s already been 11 years since such a life-changing day. People still ask "where were you when history was made?"
Surrounding Buildings shook on impact and everyone just froze attached to their TV, radio and telephone. As a whole we have become somewhat desensitized to tragedy due to media. But we changed after that.

If I were in Walt Disney World today I would head to Liberty Square. Maybe I would enjoy a yummy lunch at the Liberty Tree Tavern, which is a family favorite.
Liberty Tree Tavern DS Dennis &Sammy


And we would visit the Colonial Hall, which houses the Hall of Presidents.
Since opening, Walt Disney World has always taken pride in showing patriotic spirit. Just stroll down Main Street and you are greeted with old-fashioned Americana.  Each evening the Magic Kingdom conducts Flag Retreat. During this ceremony the flag above Town Square is lowered while the National Anthem is played. It is very touching to watch and a good reminder of our freedom. Look for times on your next trip.
When I met my husband he was an officer in the Navy and stationed in Orlando. Being patriotic is important to me and I reflect on that when I am in the parks.

For years I had longed to be the Flag Family at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. (WL)The Flag Family gets to go up to the roof of the Wilderness Lodge and assist with raising the flags for the day.  
The flag will be raised in honor of the victims and heroes.
Being Flag Family is a treat that can only be requested at check-in, prior reservations are not possible.
 You do not need soldiers training to participate. You simply ask when you check in. And if it is not already reserved for another family, you will get to do it.

I took my middle DS on a trip with just the two of us. We stayed at WL. The day we checked in I crossed my fingers and spoke to the manager on duty. He talked to the Ranger and we were chosen!

Disney's Wilderness Lodge's theme is based on the historic Old Faithful Lodge in Yellowstone National Park. It captures the essence perfectly. A sense of pageantry is evident from the minute you arrive.
On the morning of our turn we woke up extra early. We began in the lobby by meeting our ranger, bright and early that morning.
We walked past guests having breakfast in the Old Faithful Club (concierge) while our Ranger gave us the history of the resort as we followed him up and around.
We had to climb the stairs that you can see from the lobby if you know to look for them.
Everything looks picturesque from that high point. The roof’s breathtaking views provide magnificent photo opportunities.
Ranger Jack and Wilderness explorer DS Dennis

Dennis and an amazing view


Once the American flag was flying high, Ranger Jack invited us to recite the Pledge of Allegiance with him. Seeing the flag was a reminder of my husband’s service. And tears welled in my eyes as I stood with my hand over my heart.
 It was a magical moment that we will not soon forget!

We also received a 'Flag Family' certificate that sits proudly in our family room.
How does your family honor your country?

5 comments:

  1. I always enjoy reading about your adventures...but this one is really special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you were able to do that! Thank you for bring tears to my eyes today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tear here too Lori. A well written piece for this day. Will definitely look for the Flag Retreat this upcoming trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! What a special experience! sniff sniff....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Touching article! You tackled a difficult topic with the poise and dignity that it deserves!

    ReplyDelete