Wednesday, July 30, 2014

#Disneyland60.....Today In Disneyland History.....July 30, 1956

The Mineral Hall

July 30, 1956

July 30, 1956 marked the opening day for The Mineral Hall, located in Frontierland.  Operated by Ultra-Violet Products, the Mineral Hall featured a free exhibit, which includes a mineral display lit by black light. The Mineral Hall shop was located next door to the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train/Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland ride.  Rainbow Caverns Mine Train was a narrow gauge mine train ride through the  then new Living Desert. After the scenery was again redone in 1960, it was also upgraded and became 1960–1977, Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland. 

The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad  attraction replaced this sedate train ride with the “wildest ride in the wilderness”, The only attraction that remains from the scenic vistas is the mighty waterfall tumbling from Cascade Peak into the Rivers of America, visible only from various boat rides around the Rivers. The structure that formed Cascade Peak and its waterfalls was demolished in 1998 after it was found to be suffering structurally from the decades of water that flowed over it. 

Back in the day, before closing in 1963, The Mineral Shop sold related gifts and mineral samples. Selling anywhere between 10 & 50 cents, the Disneyland-themed mineral samples were labeled Walt Disney's Mineral Land - Rocks & Minerals. An inscribed window reminds guests of one of Disneyland's attractions of a time gone by. The window and former Mineral Hall location are currently part of the Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante dining area. While you're in Frontierland, be sure to check out the new The Legends of Frontierland Interactive Game And that’s what happened today in Disneyland history.

No comments:

Post a Comment